Saturday, February 02, 2008

Snowy Day

____________________________________________________________________________


So late Thursday night, emerging from work I found that the corolla was buried in 8 or 9 inches of snow. Large flakes of snow continued to fall as I swept the snow from my car [I say swept, for I actually use a broom to remove the snow, much to some people's surprise. ] Having removed a great deal of snow from my car, I go back around for one more sweep as quite a coating of big wet flakes had built up as I was thus engaged. Now for the ride home. getting the car to move out of the unplowed parking lot was somewhat tricky as I stupidly had not yet purchased new tires to replace the balding ones I have. (and still have not replaced) The whole trip home I thought to myself, "see, you should have gotten new tires back in November when you thought it would be a good idea, or maybe before that in October, when you were told that the tires needed to be replaced, it would have paid off right now, for then you could have driven with much more confidence in this messy weather" I am very good at berating myself, in such situations. But I did make it home and safely too, with no damage to me or the car.

One of the things I adore about winter is the peace and quiet of the falling snow or of the newly fallen snow. Everything is carpeted in a blanket of white, all sounds are muted. At such times as these I like to pause and take in the serenity that is to be found. Such silence can be almost eerie, and yet, it has such a profound calming effect on me. It is hard to describe really, what one feels but indeed it is felt. I hoped to take a picture of the fresh snow that would show how I felt, but the day had ended and there was little light left to get a great picture. So here is a substitute. I do like the little twig that has broken from the weight of the snow. it reminds us to be yielding in the face of difficulty.

No comments:

Post a Comment