Monday, November 19, 2007

Ah, Thanksgiving...and Mittens

Thanksgiving week! Here we are again, it is the Holiday season, the time when you meet with friends and family and when people are a little kinder and a little more willing to give. Thanksgiving has always been a delightful time of year for me. I love trying new recipes to inflict upon my family. I love sitting around with everyone and catching up on the past year and watching football, and the wonderful crisp days and cool nights. the making of pies and the cozy fire in the fire place.
This year marks the first year with out the Grandparent generation. My Grandmother died this summer as did my Uncle Lester. So my parents are the oldest living generation. I will spend this Thanksgiving with Aunt Jessie, and my cousins and oldest brother and his family in Springville.
I look forward to the time when I will be back in Vermont, when I live in the place that I love. And Thanksgivings are spent with my folks again.
I think another year or maybe two, and I will head east.

In other news, I finished another pair of mittens. this was cream colored pair with a Twisted and crossed cable going up the back. the cable is quite nice, but the finished mittens leave something to be desired. I need to amend the pattern so that the top decrease a bit, and it doesn't have so much puckering. I have the next pair of mittens in mind already. It will be another cable mitten, I want to try and mimic this nice pair of horseshoe cable mittens, which has a simple cable running up both sides of the horseshoe cable.

I did finally take a picture of the first Mittens I ever made,
incidentally they happen to be the very first project I ever
finished in my knitting career. Not to be confused with all the many projects I have started... I have had three pairs of socks also started, but I frogged two of them, and now have only one pair started, that is, half of one pair started. The mittens shown at right are, probably the best mittens in the world! they are made with two yarns at once, making them a very solid and very warm wool mitten.
I have already had occasion to wear them and to be ever so grateful for their warmth. It was last week after work when I got to stand in the back of a refrigerated semi truck trailer for an hour and pass out the Thanksgiving turkeys at midnight! Yes I was very grateful to have my mittens then. I was happy that I was able to create such an item to keep me warm. What feeling of satisfaction and some other word I can't think of just now. To know that I had warm hands because of my hard work. This translates into the confidence that I will be able to one day keep my children's and my husband's hands warm too. Yes, confidence that is the word I'm looking for.

Ok, here is the picture of the Finished Cabled mittens :

1 comment:

  1. Am I a good enough friend that you would make some mittens for me? I have very cold hands and this blog just made me wish I had something warm on them. I will discuss payment with you later. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete